Truestone Builds Water-Tight Case
Command Control & Communications Center (C3CEN) – MX-420/510 DGPS "Jump Kit" Design & Build Project
Design and build a portable ruggedized Differential Global Positioning System (DGPS). This task consisted of building 85 ruggedized cases modified to accept custom designed metalwork that holds all of the necessary equipment and cabling to operate a MX Marine MX-420 or MX-510 DGPS system. The kit is designed in such a manner that the Coast Guard Aids to Navigation (ATON) work boats can utilize it along with Electronic Charting Software loaded on a laptop to position navigational aids inaccessible to the cutter. The basic requirements consisted of the following:
- The integrated case needed to be rugged enough to withstand the daily working environment associated with positioning navigation aids using small boats that are exposed to the elements.
- The "Jump Kit" needed to operate within a water-tight case which required the integration of a sealed interface panel that allows the operator to connect to the DGPS unit without opening the case.
- The unit needed to maintain an 8-10 hour battery charge to allow for continuous operation without connecting to an external power source.
- The unit required a NMEA/RS232 connection to allow the connection of a laptop running the ATON software to the DGPS unit mounted in the case.
- The kit needed to run on battery power, and be able to switch from external DC to external AC.
The Truestone team met this challenge by completing a prototype build and proof-of-concept testing. Once approved by C3CEN, our team purchased all the Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) electronic components along with ruggedized metalwork (brackets, clamps, and mounts) needed to secure all of the components within the case. In addition to obtaining all the parts, the Truestone team created the engineering drawings and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). In the end, our team produced 85 units using our Test and Integration Facility (TIF) located in Suffolk, VA. The kits were tested in house and shipped to multiple USCG ATON units throughout the United States and its territories.
Value to the U.S. Coast Guard
- Provides a reliable ATON tool to the USCG, assisting them in their primary mission to maintain maritime safety in the waterways.
- Kit functionality and compact design creates ease of use for the operator.
- Kit construction stands up to the working environment and rugged use associated with ATON operations.
- The Jump Kit DGPS can be used as a replacement for the USCG vessel's main DGPS system if that were to fail.
- The placement of recessed external I/O panel on the outside of the case allows the case to be fully watertight while in operation.
- The Jump Kit can be operated on either AC or DC power and will run for approximately 10 hours on the internally mounted battery.
Impact and Benefits
Truestone consistently performs beyond expectations.
On time, within scope and on budget.
We never say, "that's not our job."
Truestone understands the USCG mission and how to meet agency goals.